Sunday, August 17, 2008

Scraping By, Day Two


The good news: I finally bought a belt sander. I love gadgets as much as the next guy, maybe more, and there have been more than a few projects around here that I might have finished more easily if I'd had a belt sander close to hand.

The bad news: It doesn't remove house paint as well as I thought it would. It does the job all right, but I had imagined it would quickly strip it off with one or two passes. No joy there. With an 80 grit belt (and I'm pretty sure that would be rough enough to grind off most of my thumb if I forgot to unplug the sander before changing the belt) I had to lean into it pretty hard to tear off the heavy latex layer on top. The next layer, probably an older oil-based paint, was flaky enough that it came away pretty easily, but not so easily I'd want to depend on using the sander to remove all the paint.

No comments: