Saturday, August 30, 2008

Labor Day Scrape - Day Two



Water got in behind the woodwork in the lower corners, so the bottom three or four inches of the lumber that faced the elements were so rotten I had to cut it away and replace it.

The close quarters made it hard to cut. I could get the nose of my hand saw in just far enough to sort of nibble away at it, being careful not to cut into the vinyl window or the siding.

Most of the rot underneath was soft enough to easily remove with the corner of a scraping tool. A shop vac cranked all the way up to "Full Suck" was pretty good at cleaning out the deepest recesses.

Somebody tried to repair this corner before by pumping it full of expanding foam. I pulled most of it out making sure I got all the rotten wood.






All the woodwork in place, not yet caulked.

No comments: